Hospital and Customer Service

A friend of mine had a surgery today and I was the one giving his ride back home. The surgery wouldn't start until 4pm and would take about 1-1.5 hours. The plan was to have my friend staying in the hospital until 5:30pm and then I would drive to pick him up (after work).

While I was very focus at work, I got a call from a nurse and that was about 4:25pm. She needed me to get to the hospital before 5pm. Why? Because, otherwise, I wouldn't be able to get into the building as the elevator will be locked. If that was the case, couldn't she call me up earlier? Otherwise, why didn't she just let me in when I get there at around 6pm since I wouldn't be able to make it at 5pm? Maybe the nurse would be too busy to let me in. Anyway, I thought the surgery must have been done early so I just went.

After about 30 minutes of commute time, I got to the hospital at 5:15pm and I thought I would need to call her to let me in. Well, to my surprise, the elevators worked just fine. So I got to the reception and asked for my friend and it turned out that he's still in the operation room and still needed at least 30 mins! I was like WTF. You asked me to get to the hospital early to wait so that you don't have to get down to let me in. I understand that the nurse is just doing her job and she's probably very busy. However, from a customer's perspective (a friend reminded me that I am not really a customer and most users of the hospital are patients and patients' family members, so they don't really have a choice), that's a very bad experience. You know what, if the hospital allows operations to happen past 5pm, they have to figure out a way to let people into it after then. That's just simple customer service.

Anyway, hope I don't have to go there anytime soon.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That was one of the best things to go wrong in a hospital. You should be thankful!