Snow Leopard is coming this Friday

I have been a Mac user since 2005 and have been paying attention to all-things Mac since. I guess I am somewhat of a fan boy since I have a Mac Mini, a Macbook, and an iPhone. Anyway, in the Apple Worldwide Developer Conference (held in SF in Jun 2009), Apple announced that the new version of Mac OS X (10.6 codename Snow Leopard) would be shipped in September 2009 for $29 [1]. I was very excited about it. By the way, there is only ONE version of OS in Mac as opposed to many in the Windows world (like Home Basic, Premium, Ultimate, and a lot more). Everyone in the Mac community always makes fun of Windows because of all these version.

Today, Apple announced that the new OS will be shipped this Friday (August 28, 2009) [2]. That's at least a few days earlier than the promised delivery day (they could have planned to release it at the end of September and that means it's a whole month earlier than expected). As a customer, I am happy and impressed with their ability to deliver software (as compared to the other OS company). Of course, I haven't tried out the new OS and don't know if it would be just a piece of sh!t but given Apple's track record, I am rather confident that it would be a fine piece of software.

Lesson learned: Set a lower expectation for your customers (under promise) and as long as you beat that expectation even just by a little bit (over delivery), people will think that you are awesome. It applies to your work too. However, you shouldn't do that when you set goals for yourself. You should always set a far-fetch goal and even if you don't get it, you would have achieved more than you could.

No comments: