Airfoil is AWESOME!

As I mentioned before, I have recently moved my desk & computer from my bedroom to my office. In addition to creating too much space in my bedroom, this move also removed all the music sources from my bedroom. Basically, my room is roomy and quiet (I guess that's what a bedroom is supposed to be :). Well, I like to listen to Internet radio (can't play that on my iphone) on the bed before I sleep; however, the current set up doesn't allow me to do that. I've been trying to find a (cheap but very good) solution to this problem and I think I have found one.

Apple has a product called Airport Express, which allows music sharing via AirTunes. So what does it mean? It basically allows your to stream any audio from your iTunes library to any speakers connected to the Airport Express. What it means is that I only need to buy a set of speakers and an Airport Express unit and then I will be able to play my iTunes music in my bedroom. That's cool except it doesn't completely solve my problem... I need to play audio outside of iTunes (e.g. Real player or Quicktime) and I would like a cheaper solution ($99 for a device for audio streaming isn't exactly cheap in my book).

After some digging around, I found this awesome software called Airfoil from Rogue Amoeba. It does exactly what I wanted and it only costs me $25! The setup is super easy; it took me less than 5 minutes. After installing the software on my desktop, I installed their iPhone app, and voila, my Internet radio was playing on my iPhone! I can now listen to my favorite radio/music wherever I go inside my home. Very nice. Now, I just need to find a nice speaker for my iPhone and then I'll be all set in my bedroom.

I highly recommend it if you have been looking for a solution for streaming music all over your house. It works on Windows and Linux too!

No comments: