My ADHD is in play again... Anyway, I was trying to figure out what I did on my previous trip to Japan (basically trying to re-live that experience and figuring out the name of all the places I visited) and then an incoming email from someone I don't know interrupted me. There were quite a few grammatical mistakes and I immediately had a lesser impression of that person. You know what, it wasn't the first time I had this reaction. Whenever I see a lot of grammatical mistakes in someone's email, I felt lesser about that person (note, it only applies to those whom I don't know, so if you are my friends, don't worry, I don't mind your quick/short email with grammatical mistakes since I already know who you are. Plus, I have quite a few grammatical mistakes when I send you guys quick emails too :P).
Think about it, when you first "meet" someone through email, your writing is basically a reflection of who you are and that's the first impression the recipient has about you. If you have a lot of grammatical mistakes in your first email, you could be seen as someone who's careless or who doesn't pay attention to details. If you are looking for a job, these mistakes will hurt you a great deal. Even if you aren't looking for a job, the recipients may think that you don't respect them as you can't even spend a minute to proofread the mail. So, please remember to proofread your mail when you email someone you don't know or barely know.
Anyway, just a random thought I want to capture. I better proofread my blog post or I'll just be hypocrite :).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment